School of Agricultural Technology
The Technological Educational Institute of Crete, (TEIC) is the largest higher education institute on the island of Crete with more than 20,000 students. In total 18 departments are operating in TEIC covering a vast area of subjects such as engineering, agricultural technology, health science and economics. More than 5,000,000 € has been flown into TEIC the past eight years solely from private funding, one of the largest amounts in non-medical research in the country. Additional funding has been secured through competitive research grants both of National and European origin. TEIC was the top Technological Institute in the Country in securing funding from a relevant call of the Ministry of Education in 2004 and 2005. Research team interests include: managing of municipal, agricultural and agro-industrial solid and liquid wastes. It has strong expertise in issues related to wetlands design and operation including free surface and subsurface flow systems as well as other non-conventional treatment systems.
- Terzakis, S., Fountoulakis, M.S., Georgaki, I., Albantakis, D., Sabathianakis, I., Karathanasis, A.D., Kalogerakis, N., Manios, T. (2009). Constructed wetlands treating highway runoff in the central Mediterranean region Chemosphere 72, 141-149. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.02.044.
- Fountoulakis, M.S, Terzakis, S., Chatzinotas, A., Brix, H., Kalogerakis, N., Manios, T. (2009) Pilot-scale comparison of constructed wetlands operated under high hydraulic loading rates and attached biofilm reactors for domestic wastewater treatment, Sci. Total. Environ. 407, 2996-3003. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.01.005
- Manios, T., Fountoulakis, M.S., Karathanasis, A.D. (2009) Construction simplicity and cost as selection criteria between two types of constructed wetlands treating highway runoff, Environ. Manag. 43, 908-920. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00267-008-9250-z
- Manios, T., Gaki, E., Banou, S., Klimathianou, A., Abramakis, N., Sakkas, N. (2003). Closed wastewater cycle in a meat producing and processing industry, Resources, Conservation and Recycling 38 (4), pp. 335-345. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(02)00169
- Drakopoulou, S., Terzakis, S., Fountoulakis, M.S., Mantzavinos, D., Manios, T. (2009) Ultrasound-induced inactivation of gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria in secondary treated municipal wastewater, Ultrason. Sonochem. 16, 629-634. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2008.11.011
- Katsiri E., J.Bacon and A. Mycroft (2007). Linking Sensor Data to Context-Aware Applications using Abstract Events. Journal of Pervasive Computer and Systems (JPCC), Special issue on Managing Context Information in Mobile and Pervasive Environments, 3-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17427370710863112
- E. Katsiri and A. Mycroft (2011). Linking temporal first-order logic with Bayesian networks for the simulation of pervasive computing systems. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory. 19 (1), 161-180 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2010.06.002
- E. Katsiri, J.Bacon and A. Mycroft (2010), Linking Temporal First-Order Logic and Hidden Markov Models with Abstract Events. In the International Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools. (IJAIT), 19:6 857-893, http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/S0218213010000443